Thursday, June 5, 2008

Surprising Discovery

After 6 years of growing more and more frustrated with the school , I decided to homeschool. A totally new world opened in front of my eyes. I am not talking about academics. It never occurred to me that teaching will be a problem.

What surprised me is that it is a whole different world. If you're not in it, you won't understand it. There have been talks from outsiders: should it be illegal, do the parents need teaching credentials, should the homeschool students need more monitoring and testing? I understand.

The surprising discovery was finding out from a lot of church goers (especially mine) that they were worried ONLY if I am able to teach the academics. I tried to explain that academics have their place, but not the first one.

I want my children to develop godly character. I want my children to have virtue and wisdom, not to be just "academically successful". I always ask myself that what is the point of my kids having a degree from Harvard, Oxford, Yale, if they will end up in Hell?

And how my kids will obtain wisdom? The Bible is clear: walking with the wise. Prov.13:20- He who walks with wise is wise, but he who associates with fools is a fool himself.

Also the Bible tells us who the fools are. Ps. 14:1- The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God". They are corrupt, they have done abominable deeds.
And Luke 11:23 teaches He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters.

Now, why should my children be indoctrinated by these fools? And as Christians, why these things don't matter to many? Why is it more important a diploma from a high regarded university that spits on God's principles, than a child who is supposed to grow in virtue and godly wisdom?

We've become such a materialistic society that God's people are rarely valued!



.

No comments: