Sunday, June 22, 2008

Leading by Example

"For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you." (John 13:15)

When homeschooling your children, you often find yourself face to face with personal challenges to grow intellectually and spiritually. Learning writing essays or book reports in order to teach my children writing is difficult, but memorizing their Scripture verses is even harder. Scripture memorization had been a discipline that I failed to apply to my own life until my daughter asked one day, "Mom, do you know all these Scripture verses too?" Admitting that I didn't, God convicted me to start hiding His Word in my heart right along with my children during their Bible lessons.

The best teachers and leaders in the Christian life are those who are willing to get their own hands dirty as they help others. Paul was such a man. Although he could have stayed in Jerusalem, he responded to God's call and went to the mission field. Willing to face shipwrecks, beatings, stonings, and other persecutions, God used him to lead thousands of people to the Lord. Even while he was ministering and establishing new churches, Paul supported himself by making tents in order not to be a financial burden on the church (Acts 20:33-35).

Are you willing to practice what you preach to your children, or do you take the easy road in your spiritual walk? Although no homeschooling parent is perfect, we can allow the Holy Spirit to change our lives for the better. If you want to make a lasting impression on your children's hearts as a godly homeschool parent, lead by example. "Nevertheless, to the degree that we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing. Brethren, join in following my example, and mark those who so walk, as you have us for a pettern." (Philippians 3:16-17)

No comments: